Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Lisa Simpson, Singing Truth to Power

I stumbled across this video on The People's Songs today.



Come gather 'round children,
It's high time you learned,
'Bout a hero named Homer
And a devil named Burns.

We'll march till we drop,
The girls and the fellas,
We'll fight till the death
Or else fold like umbrellas.

So we'll march day and night,
By the big cooling tower,
They have the plant,
But we have the power.

So we'll march day and night,
By the big cooling tower,
They have the plant,
But we have the power.

I don't watch much television, and back when I did, I didn't regularly watch The Simpsons. So maybe the rest of you have known about this awesome song for ages and it's totally old hat. The one small downside to not watching TV is that you occasionally miss out on a gem like this until some kind soul posts it online.

Even so, I have watched enough of The Simpsons to know that Lisa is one awesome rockin' kid. Part of the reason why I hold her in especially high esteem is that when my 8-year-old self was presented with all the band and orchestra instruments I might want to play, I chose the saxophone. I liked its smooth, mellow sound. When I got home and told my mom, she explained that, no, really I wanted to play the violin. My inner Lisa was crushed. But she did not die. She lives on. Alas, she does not play the saxophone, but she does play the guitar.

Lisa Simpson has a heart and she knows how to use it. If she does something, then you know it's okay. It's more than okay. It's great. If Lisa Simpson ran for office, I'd vote for her in a heartbeat. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Matt Groening will receive special rewards in heaven just for having created Lisa.

No comments:

Post a Comment